COS In the News
- COS Ph.D. student Peter Landwehr and Prof. Kathleen Carley's work was recently published in Simulation & Gaming. You can read a short review of its contents and the link between using issues in games to solve real-world problems. The paper is linked in our publications section. Link
- COS Ph.D. student, Justin Cranshaw, was awarded a Facebook Graduate Fellowship for 2013-2014 out of a dozen winners. He was one of four CMU finalists in the competition.
- A guide of Facebook privacy options, written by COS professor Lorrie Cranor, was featured by The Wall St Journal on March 11, 2013. You can read the full article and see the video here: [link]
- Recent work by Dr. Kathleen M. Carley and CASOS researcher Jon Storrick in conjunction with Columbia University's Dr. Jackie Merrill is cited in Public Health System News. The work also
- Link to PHSN website: Link
- Link to discussed publication, "Patterns of Interaction Among Local Public Health Officials and the Adoption of Recommended Practices", on the UKnowledge website: Link
- On January 28th, CMU recogonized "Data Privacy Day" with a sponsored panal discussion and poster session. The panel included CyLab and COS faculty, professors Norman Sadeh, Lorrie Cranor, and Travis Breaux and Human Computer Interaction Institute professor, Jason Hong . Data Privacy Day is an international event observed in 28 countries to raise the awareness of privacy issues. It is led by the National Cyber Security Alliance and its Stay Safe Online inititive. You can read more about NCSA here: link
- Read the CyLab recap of the event on their website: link
- Watch a video of the CyLab-sponsored panel: YouTube
Professor Lorrie Cranor was interviewed in January by both the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
January 2, 2013: Proposal before Congress on text messages stirs debate on rights, police work: Link
January 29, 2013: Electronic devices and services monitor us 24/7, but there are few ways to block them: Link